New Year Beginnings

New Year - New Beginnings


Happy New Year!

As the New Year begins we often have some resolutions or habits we want to implement. Let’s breathe deeply and take a moment to remember that creating new ways of being can temporarily cause confusion or other discomforts in our life or routines. But hey, in the long run, it will be worth it, right?

Exercise and meditation are examples of ‘keystone’ habits (habits that create a ‘virtuous circle’. i.e. have a beneficial domino effect or feedback loop.) Keystone habits are intentional repetitive activities, which at first require effort and discipline, but are done because they are good in nature and build solid foundations for your future endeavors. 


‘Bad habits’, on the other hand, result from avoiding effort, discipline and intention. These habits feel like they are going towards comfort, rest, pleasure, but they actually slowly make us less capable, less healthy, and happy and often lead us toward pain cycles. Did you know that sustaining a bad habit often takes just as much effort as implementing or working on one that is better for you?

Unfortunately there is no “one step to heaven” secret to instant success for new habits, but I have learned some tricks which have helped me with creating new good habits.

1.     I schedule into my calendar when I will be doing the  new activity.

      2.     I make it as fun as possible.

      3.     If appropriate, I engage a friend to help be my 'conscience’. Usually this person is interested in creating a similar new habit.

      4.     As I decide to do the new habit I take a moment to write down all the benefits and reasons I have    to make the change (including the cons for not doing it). When the going gets tough I review my reasons. Laugh at myself for trying to take a shortcut. Realize how little time it will take me and  then I go for it!

      5.     At the end of the day I take a moment to be grateful for what I have done or assure myself that            tomorrow I have another chance if I happened to have skipped it today.

     Let’s make 2017 the best year ever! Use your wisdom from the past to help create a better you for the future. Good luck implementing some keystone habits.   


   
I hope that meditation is one of them!


Please join me Monday mornings and Wednesday nights. See calendar page for the dates.www.MeditationFromTheHeart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment